Bilingual Supplementary Extension Reimbursement Program
The Bilingual Supplementary Extension Reimbursement Program is designed to address the shortage of bilingual educators and clinicians within the New York City Public Schools. This program assists participants with the bilingual extension certification process and provides tuition reimbursement.
- Social Work
- Speech-Language Pathology
In order to be eligible for the Bilingual Supplementary Certification you must meet the following criteria prior to acceptance into the program:
- Receive a principal’s nomination and/or a commitment letter for a bilingual position within a NYC Public School.
- Be an incumbent certified classroom teacher with a valid New York State Education Department (NYSED) Initial, Provisional, Professional or Permanent NYS certificate in the area for which you will be teaching.
- Successfully complete the Bilingual Education Assessment (BEA) examination.
- Provide proof of enrollment into a NYSED approved program leading to the Bilingual Extension.
- Complete the Pre-requisite coursework: Theories of Bilingual Education and Multi- cultural Perspectives.
- Participants must obtain the NYSED Supplementary Bilingual Extension.
- Participant must serve as a Bilingual Educator in a New York City Public School for a minimum of three years.
Candidates will not be reimbursed for coursework taken prior to program acceptance. Only coursework completed with a grade of “B” or higher will be reimbursed. Participants are reimbursed at the current CUNY Graduate tuition rate (not to exceed 12 credits) for coursework necessary to complete the Initial/Provisional Admin/PPS Bilingual Education Extension. Other fees and expenses are not covered and are the responsibility of the participant.
|Bilingual Extension Reimbursement Program - Information Form||Click Here|
|Bilingual Extension Reimbursement Program - Application||Click Here|
Please fill out and return the Bilingual Supplementary Extension Reimbursement Program Information Form. The Office of Scholarships, Incentives, and Speech Programs will review and reach out to applicants regarding eligibility and next steps. Please contact the Office of Scholarships, Incentives, and Speech Programs at (718) 935-2449 for additional program information.
Completed forms should be faxed to 718-935-3327, Attn: Bilingual Extension Program
Implementation of the Bilingual Supplementary Extension Program is contingent upon the availability of funding and the staffing needs of the New York City Department of Education.