Bilingual Pupil Services
BPS is a Title I, Tax Levy program which operates within the New York City Department of Education, Division of Human Resources, Office of School Based Support Services. Its purpose is to prepare and train bilingual paraprofessionals in pursuit of a teaching career to support and serve English Language Learners (ELLs) in Title I public elementary schools. The goal is to promote linguistic and academic progress of these students, whose primary language is Spanish, Chinese, or Haitian-Creole, by providing supportive instructional services through the assignment of our BPS teacher interns.
Upon admission into the BPS program, our interns receive many benefits. They are placed in a bilingual or ESL setting at participating schools throughout NYC and receive salary including benefits as UFT paraprofessionals while they take classes to complete their Bachelor's degree. In addition to a paid para-internship teaching experience, the program also pays for their college tuition (9 credits per semester at any of the participating senior colleges for an accredited program leading to a Bachelor’s degree and New York State certification in bilingual education, bilingual special education, or ESL), offers professional development, educational resources, exam prep workshops, mentorship, and job placement assistance.
In order to be considered for the BPS Program, prospective candidates must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Enrollment in an undergraduate teacher certification program at a participating college or university (specifically in bilingual childhood education, bilingual special education or ESL track)
Fluency in English AND a second language (Spanish, Chinese, or Haitian-Creole) as demonstrated by performance on a written assessment and oral interview IF choosing the bilingual education track
- Accumulation of at least 75 college credits toward a Bachelor Degree in education, and a minimum GPA of 2.8
- Completion of mandated Child Abuse Identification and School Violence Prevention and Intervention workshops
- Passing score on the Liberal Arts & Sciences Test (LAST)
- College transcript(s) for verification of credits and performance
U.S. citizenship or legal permanent residency as required by New York State Education Department for certification
If you have any questions, please email BPS@schools.nyc.gov. To start your online application, please click on "apply now" at the bottom of the page and forward all required documents to: