Bilingual Pupil Services
The Bilingual Pupil Services (BPS) Program is a Title I program within the NYC Public Schools, Division of Human Resources, Office of HR School Support. Its purpose is to prepare and train bilingual paraprofessionals in pursuit of a teaching career to support and serve English Language Learners (ELLs) and Multilingual Learners (MLs) in Title I public elementary/middle schools. The goal is to promote the linguistic and academic progress of these students, whose primary languages are Spanish, Chinese and Haitian Creole, by providing supportive instructional services through the assignment of our BPS teacher interns. It also prepares bilingual paraprofessionals to become bilingual or ENL teachers.
Upon admission into the BPS program, our interns receive many benefits. They are placed in a bilingual or English as a New Language (ENL) setting at participating schools throughout NYC and receive salary including benefits as UFT paraprofessionals while they take courses to complete their Bachelor's degree. In addition to a paid para-internship teaching experience, the program also pays for their college tuition (12 credits per semester at any of the participating senior colleges for an accredited program leading to a Bachelor’s degree and New York State certification in Bilingual Childhood Education (Grades 1-6), or Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) (Grades K-8) also called English as a New Language (ENL). The program offers professional development, educational resources, exam prep workshops, mentorship, and job placement assistance.
Enrollment in an undergraduate teacher certification program at a participating college or university (specifically in bilingual childhood education or ENL track).
- Fluency in English AND a second language (Spanish, Chinese, or Haitian Creole) as demonstrated by performance on a written assessment and oral interview, if choosing the bilingual education track.
Accumulation of at least 75 college credits toward a Bachelor's Degree in education and a minimum GPA of 2.8.
Completion of Mandated Child Abuse Identification, School Violence Prevention and Intervention, and Anti-Bullying/DASA workshops.
Passing score on the required New York State Teacher Certification Examinations.
College transcript(s) for verification of credits and performance.
U.S. citizenship or legal permanent residency.
MAIL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS TO
New York City Public Schools
HR School Support
Attn: Bilingual Pupil Services (BPS) Program
65 Court Street, Room 508
Brooklyn, N.Y. 11201
- Potential candidates who have submitted a transcript and proof of all three (3) workshops are scheduled for an interview.
- An oral interview will be conducted in English and the Native language.
- Candidates are required to write a composition in English and the Native Language based on an educational prompt.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide supportive bilingual instruction to English Language/ Multilingual Learners under the supervision of a certified bilingual education or ENL cooperating teacher within a participating Title I School.
- Must complete a minimum of 18 or a maximum of 27 credits per year in an accredited bilingual education or ENL program leading to a baccalaureate degree.
- Maintain and complete a professional portfolio demonstrating progress towards expertise in teaching.
- Attend all coaching and professional development workshop sessions conducted by Bilingual Pupil Services.
Receive training, guidance, and mentoring to become a certified bilingual, or ENL teacher.
Teaching experience in a bilingual or ENL classroom setting.
Paid tuition in an accredited teacher education program at a participating college or university for a minimum of 18 credits up to a maximum of 27 credits per year.
Same salary and benefits as UFT paraprofessionals (Educational Assistant B or Educational Associate).
- Ongoing preparation workshops for NYS Teaching Exams.
For more information about the Bilingual Pupil Services (BPS) Program, please email BPS@schools.nyc.gov.