Loan Forgiveness Program For Newly Hired Occupational and Physical Therapist
|Application Period:||June 15 - November 15,2020|
The JoseP Loan Forgiveness Program for Occupational and Physical Therapists, newly hired to the New York City Department of Education, offers New York State licensed therapists the opportunity to have up to $24,000 of student loans repaid. This program serves to increase the number of licensed personnel serving in the neediest geographic areas of the New York City public schools.
The following types of loans are considered approved sources:
- Perkins Loan Program (formerly National Direct Student Loan)
- Stafford Student Loan Programs (Guaranteed Student Loan)
- Supplemental Loans for Students (Auxiliary Loans to Assist Students)
- Health Professions Student Loans/Nursing Student Loans
- Health Education Assistance Loans
- Bank Loans for Educational Purposes
- Possession of an appropriate New York State license in Occupational Therapy or Physical Therapy. If the applicant has not yet received the actual certificate, an official letter from the college/university indicating that they have satisfactorily completed a state-approved education program is acceptable, provided all examinations have been completed satisfactorily.
Proof of U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Residency.
- The applicant must be on NYCDOE payroll by November 15th of the current school year to be considered.
- Preliminary eligibility is established once the required documentation is received. Final eligibility is determined by the end of year verification of employment and overall rating.
The awardee must secure employment in a New York City Public School in one of the following school districts:
- Bronx Districts 7, 8, 9, 10 and 12
- Brooklyn Districts 13, 14, 16, 17, 18, 23 and 32
District 75 Brooklyn and Bronx schools only
NOTE: The list of eligible districts is subject to change annually and is determined by the needs of the New York City Department of Education.
- Applications must be completed and submitted within the semester of hire, or the therapist will not be eligible to participate in the program.
- Awardees must not have benefited from or participated in any other incentive programs administered by the Department of Education (i.e., Scholarship Program, Teachers of Tomorrow, Intensive Teacher Institute in Bilingual Special Education (ITI-BSE), New York City Teaching Fellows, Teach for America, I-Start, New Visions Urban Teacher Residency Program, Success Via Apprenticeship, Math for America, etc.).
- Current or past Department of Education pedagogical or clinical employees are NOT eligible to participate in this program.
SERVICE AGREEMENT and COMMITMENT:
- Participants must complete ten (10) months of satisfactory service within a New York City public school in an assigned shortage area position as stated above (or twelve months of service, if the assignment is in a year-round special education program).
- Service must begin within 30 days of the date that employee reports for duty each September.
- The awardee must be payrolled to an eligible Loan Forgiveness district.
- Eligibility is for a period of up to six (6) consecutive years. To maintain eligibility, participants must complete each year of satisfactory service in a designated Loan Forgiveness district as determined by the NYCDOE.
- The total financial amount given to the therapist will be determined at the initial acceptance of the program and will be divided over the six years (not to exceed $24,000).
To be considered for acceptance into the OT/PT Loan Forgiveness Program, you must complete the online application and submit the following documentation within ten (10) business days from the date the application was filed:
- Copy of your New York State Certificate issued in one of the shortage areas listed above.
- College Transcripts (student copies are acceptable).
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Residency status.
- Proof of outstanding student loans.
Please mail documentation to:
New York City Department of Education
HC School Support
Scholarships, Incentives and Speech Programs
65 Court Street, Room 508
Brooklyn, N.Y. 11201
Attn: OT/PT Loan Forgiveness Program
Applications are available June 15th through November 15th for the upcoming school year. Applications must be completed and submitted within the semester of hire, or the Therapist will not be eligible to participate in the program. Preliminary eligibility is established once the required documentation is received. Final eligibility is determined by the end of year verification of employment and overall rating.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Implementation of the Loan Forgiveness Program is contingent upon the availability of resources and the staffing needs of the NYC Department of Education. Inquiries regarding the application should be directed to the Scholarship, Incentive and Speech Programs at JosePScholarship@schools.nyc.gov. We look forward to receiving your application.