Bilingual School Psychology
Area of Study: BILINGUAL SCHOOL PSYCHOLOGY
Semester of Entry: FALL
Application Period: JANUARY 4 - APRIL 30
Languages: SPANISH (other languages as determined by the needs of the NYCDOE)
Level of Study: MASTER'S DEGREE
Program of Study:
A NEW YORK STATE-APPROVED BILINGUAL SCHOOL PSYCHOLOGY PROGRAM AT ONE OF THE COLLEGES OR UNIVERSITIES LISTED BELOW:
|COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY||CONTACT PERSON||TELEPHONE NO.||EMAIL ADDRESS|
|Adelphi University||Ionas Sapountzis, Ph.D.||(516) email@example.com|
|CUNY Brooklyn College||Graciela Elizalde-Utnick, Ph.D.||(718) 951-5876||Gutnick@brooklyn.cuny.edu|
|CUNY Queens College||Cliff (Yung-Chi) Chen, Ph.D.||(718) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Fordham University||Yi Ding, Ph.D., NCSP||(212) email@example.com|
|Long Island University- Brooklyn||Dr. Trina Yearwood||(718)firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mercy College||Jeffrey Cohen||(914) email@example.com|
Proof of a Bachelor's Degree conferred by June 30th of the current application year.
- Proof of undergraduate G.P.A. of at least 3.0
- Copies of all New York State or other state teaching certificates, including any Bilingual extensions to the State certificate that candidate may hold.
Proof of U.S citizenship or permanent resident status (e.g., Birth Certificates, Passport, Alien Registration Card)
A completed College Acceptance Form from a participating college or university stating applicant has been accepted unconditionally as a fully matriculated graduate student.
Two (2) reference letters
- Payment of a non-refundable application fee of $75.00 in the form of a U.S Postal money order made payable to the New York City Department of Education. Personal checks will not be accepted.
Required documents must be submitted within ten (10) business days from the date of application filing.
Mail required documents to:
New York City Department of Education
HC School Support
Scholarships, Incentives, and Speech Programs
65 Court Street, Room 508
Brooklyn, N.Y. 11201
Attn: Jose P. Scholarship Program
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
SERVICE AGREEMENT and COMMITMENT:
Scholarship Program entrants must sign a contract with the NYC Department of Education. In accepting the award, they accept the provisions of the contract, which include, but are not limited to, the following terms and conditions:
- Awardees must meet the standards of the college they attend and remain in good standing in their program.
- Awardees must complete a minimum of 18 credits per year with a grade of B or better in each course.
- Awardees shall serve as New York State certified Bilingual School Psychologists two (2) years for every year the Scholarship is awarded or any part thereof. (i.e., the scholarship is awarded for one and a half years; the participant will owe four (4) years of service.)
- Awardees are required to obtain both New York State Certification as a School Psychologists and a bilingual extension (pupil personnel services). Please consult your advisor.
- An awardee who has failed to commence their service obligation will be required to repay the total year plus nine (9%) interest within two (2) years of the last award semester. A pro-rated repayment schedule shall be established for any awardee that completes only a portion of his/her service obligation within the specified period.
- Participants are required to take and pass the Bilingual Education Assessment (BEA) examination upon acceptance into the scholarship program.
Current pedagogical or clinical employees of the NYC Department of Education are not eligible to participate in the Scholarship Program.
Applicants who have already achieved NYS or reciprocal state certification are not eligible to apply.
Applicants who have already completed a master's degree program in education are not eligible to apply.
- Must not have benefited from or participated in any other incentive programs administered by the Department of Education (i.e., Career Training Program, Loan Forgiveness Program, Intensive Teacher Institute in Bilingual Special Education (ITI-BSE), Teachers of Tomorrow, New York City Teaching Fellows, Teach for America, I-Start, New Visions Urban Teacher Residency Program, Success Via Apprenticeship, Math for America, etc.).
- The NYC Department of Education will reimburse the college or university the cost of tuition through completion of the Master's Degree.
- Prerequisite and undergraduate coursework, other fees and expenses are NOT covered and are the responsibility of the student.
Implementation of the Jose P. Graduate Scholarship Program is contingent upon the availability of funding and the staffing needs of the New York City Department of Education.
If you require further information, please email JosePScholarship@schools.nyc.gov or call the Office of Scholarships, Incentives, and Speech Programs at (718) 935-2449. We look forward to receiving your application!