Area of Study:
BILINGUAL SPECIAL EDUCATION (BILINGUAL APPLICANTS ONLY)
Semester of Entry:
Friday, May 22, 2015
Spanish (other languages as determined by the needs of the NYC Department of Education).
Level of Study:
Program of Study:
A New York State-approved Bilingual Special Education program at a college/university listed below:
|COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY||CONTACT PERSON||TELEPHONE NO.||EMAIL ADDRESS|
|Adelphi University - Garden City||Eva M. Roca||516 877-4072||roca2@Adelphi.edu|
|Adelphi University -Manhattan||Christopher Church||212 965-8340 ext. email@example.com|
|Bank Street College||Dr. Nilda Bayron-Resnick||212 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|CUNY Lehman College||Dr. M. Victoria Rodriguez||718 email@example.com|
|Fordham University||Dr. Su-Je Cho||212 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Long Island University- Brooklyn||Amy Patraka Ginsberg, Ph.D.||(718)email@example.com|
|Raven Maldonado Brown||(718) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Manhattan College||Dr. Elizabeth M. Kosky||(718) email@example.com|
- Possession of a Bachelor's Degree.
- Cumulative undergraduate G.P.A. of at least 3.0.
- U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Residency status.
- If you have applied to a graduate school and your acceptance is pending, please submit a written statement to that effect. If you have been accepted as a matriculated graduate student into an approved participating Bilingual Special Education program, proof of unconditional acceptance is required. The Scholarship Program does NOT pay for prerequisite credits.
- Two (2) letters of reference (1 personal, 1 professional)
- Proficiency in English and a language other than English. Languages other than English as determined by the NYC Department of Education.
- Eligible applicants will be required to complete a written assessment in English and/other target language at the interview site.
- A non-refundable application fee of $50.00 in the form of a Money Order made payable to the New York City Department of Education.
- Current pedagogical or clinical employees of the NYC Department of Education are not eligible to participate in the Scholarship Program.
- Applicants who have already achieved NYS or reciprocal state certification are not eligible to apply.
- If you have completed a master's degree program in education you are not eligible to apply to the scholarship program.
The NYC Department of Education will reimburse the college the cost of tuition through completion of the Master's Degree. Prerequisite and undergraduate coursework, other fees and expenses are NOT covered, and are the responsibility of the student.
The following testing requirements are for candidates to obtain New York State certification:
- Upon acceptance into the Scholarship Program, participants must take and pass the Bilingual Education Assessment (BEA) examination.
- In order to meet New York State teaching certification requirements, participants are also required to take and pass the Academic Literacy Skills Test (ALST) and the Educating All Students Test (EAST) during the first year of the scholarship program.
- Additionally, participants are required to take and pass both the Students With Disabilities Content Specialty Test (CST-SWD) and the Multiple-Subject Content Specialty Test (CST-MS) during the second year of the scholarship.
- Participants are also required to complete the Teacher Performance Assessment - Portfolio (edTPA) in Special Education. This normally occurs during the participants last year in the graduate program as part of their Student Teaching/Internship experience.
Scholarship Program entrants must sign a contract with the NYC Department of Education. In accepting the award, they accept the provisions of the contract, which include, but are not limited to, the following terms and conditions:
- Awardees must meet the standards of the college they attend and remain in good standing in their program.
- Awardees must not have benefited from or participated in any other incentive programs administered by the Department of Education (i.e., Loan Forgiveness Program, Teachers of Tomorrow, Intensive Teacher Institute in Bilingual Special Education (ITI-BSE), New York City Teaching Fellows, Teach for America, I-Start, New Visions Urban Teacher Residency Program, Success Via Apprenticeship, Math for America, etc.).
- Scholarship recipients must complete a minimum of 18 credits per year with a grade of B or better in each course.
- Participants shall serve as New York State certified bilingual special education teachers two (2) years for every year the Scholarship is awarded or any part thereof. Example: The scholarship is awarded for one and a half years, the participant will owe four (4) years of service.
- Program participants are required to obtain both a New York State Certificate as a Teacher of Special Education and a bilingual extension (other than elementary). Please consult your advisor.
Implementation of the Scholarship Program is contingent upon the availability of resources and the staffing needs of the NYC Department of Education.
NOTE: Please be advised that due to current contract negotiations, the list of Colleges/Universities currently identified on this website as participating partners to the NYCDOE Scholarship Program is subject to change.
If you require further information, please call the Scholarship, Incentives and Speech Programs at (718) 935-2449. We look forward to receiving your application.
To apply click here.