Jose P. Graduate Scholarship Program for Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy
The Jose P. Graduate Scholarship Program for Occupational and Physical Therapy offers financial assistance to Occupational and Physical Therapy students enrolled in their third, fourth, or graduate year of professional study at participating colleges or universities in New York State Education Department accredited programs for a maximum of two (2) years, specifically the last two (2) years of study in that program, regardless of the length of the applicant's study or program. Scholarship recipients must maintain full-time college or university enrollment. Scholarship recipients must serve within the New York City Public Schools in the field of Occupational Therapy or Physical Therapy for two (2) years for every year the scholarship is awarded or any part thereof. Scholarship recipients must also agree to accept employment as a full-time Occupational Therapist or Physical Therapist within the New York City Public Schools in areas of high need as determined by the program supervisor upon obtaining a New York State license. Applications for the Fall are available annually from January 1 through April 30.
|Jose P. Graduate Scholarship Program for Occupational and Physical Therapy Overview||
|NYS Approved Programs by Scholarship Disciplines/Area of Study||Level of Study||Fact Sheet|
|Occupational Therapy||Master's Degree||Click Here|
|Physical Therapy||Doctoral Program||Click Here|
Implementation of the Jose P. Graduate Scholarship Program for Occupational and Physical Therapy is contingent upon the availability of funding and the staffing needs of the New York City Public Schools.
Annually, Fall Semester - January 1 - April 30
- There is a non-refundable application fee of $75.00. Payment should be in the form of a U.S Postal money order made payable to the New York City Department of Education. Personal checks will not be accepted.
Be accepted by one of the participating colleges or universities and enrolled full-time in an Occupational Therapy or Physical Therapy Program leading to New York State License.
- Maintain full-time college or university enrollment.
- Provide proof of U.S Citizenship or Permanent Resident status.
- Agree to accept employment as a full-time Occupational Therapist or Physical Therapist with the New York City Department of Education in areas of high need as determined at the discretion of the program supervisor upon obtaining your New York State license.
- Prerequisite and undergraduate coursework, other fees, and expenses are NOT covered, and are the responsibility of the student.
- The maximum number of years that one is allowed to participate in the scholarship program is two (2) years, specifically the last two years of study in that program, regardless of the length of your study/program.
- Current pedagogical or clinical employees of the NYC Department of Education are not eligible to participate in the Scholarship Program.
Applicants who have already achieved New York State or reciprocal state certification are not eligible to apply.
Applicants must not have benefited from or participated in any other incentive programs administered by the NYC Public Schools (i.e., Teachers of Tomorrow, Loan Forgiveness Program, Intensive Teacher Institute in Bilingual Special Education (ITI-BSE), New York City Teaching Fellows, Teach for America, I-Start, New Visions Urban Teacher Residency Program, Success Via Apprenticeship, Math for America, etc.).
- Applicants who have already completed a master's degree program in education are not eligible to apply.
SERVICE AGREEMENT and COMMITMENT:
Upon program completion, Jose P. Graduate Scholarship Program for Occupational and Physical Therapy recipients are required to teach or provide services in the designated districts of Bronx Districts - 7, 8, 9, 10, and 12; Brooklyn Districts - 13, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 23, and 32; and District 75 - Brooklyn and Bronx schools only, within the New York City Public School system.
- The service obligation is for two (2) years for every one (1) year or part thereof (any time less than one year) that the scholarship is awarded.
- Example: If the Scholarship is awarded for one and a half (1 and 1/2) years, the participant will have a four (4) year service commitment to the NYCDOE.
The awardee must secure employment in a New York City Public School in one of the following school districts:
- Bronx Districts - 7, 8, 9, 10 and 12
- Brooklyn Districts - 13, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 23 and 32
- District 75 - Brooklyn and Bronx schools only
Required documents must be submitted within ten (10) business days from the date of application filing.
Proof of a Bachelor's Degree conferred by June 30th of the current application year
Proof of undergraduate G.P.A. of at least 3.0
Copies of all New York State or other state teaching certificates, including any Bilingual Extensions to the State Certificate the candidate may hold
Proof of U.S citizenship or permanent resident status (e.g., Birth Certificates, Passport, Alien Registration Card)
A completed College Acceptance Form from a participating college or university stating applicant has been accepted unconditionally as a fully matriculated graduate student
Two (2) letters of reference
- Payment of a non-refundable application fee of $75.00 in the form of a U.S Postal money order made payable to the New York City Department of Education (Personal checks will not be accepted)
Mail required documents to:
New York City Public Schools
HR School Support
Scholarships, Incentives, and Pupil Personnel Services
65 Court Street, Room 508
Brooklyn, N.Y. 11201
Attn: Jose P. Graduate Scholarship Program- OT/PT
To apply for the Jose P. Graduate Scholarship Program for Occupational and Physical Therapy, you must make sure that meet the above eligibility requirements, submit the required documents, including the non-refundable application fee of $75.00 and the College Acceptance Form, and apply during the annual application period of January 1 - April 30. For questions, please email email@example.com.
Steps to submitting your application:
- Select ONLINE APPLICATION (from the button below), you will be taken to Teacher Support Network website (https://nyc.teacherssupportnetwork.com/Start.do?CareerPath=INC).
- New Users will need to complete and submit the online account registration by entering the First Name, Last Name, Preferred Email Address, Password, Confirmed Password, and Social Security Number in the required fields. Once registration is complete you will have access to log in to complete the application.
Existing Users will need to log in to your account using your Username (Email) and Password.
- Once logged in, select "Start New Application."
- Select "Scholarship Program" from the dropdown.
- Complete the application.
- Submit application.
- Once the application is submitted, do not forget to mail in the required documents, including the College Acceptance Form within ten (10) days.
COLLEGE ACCEPTANCE FORM
APPLICANTS MUST COMPLETE THE COLLEGE ACCEPTANCE FORM AS PART OF THE APPLICATION
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide educational and employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. Inquiries regarding compliance with this equal opportunity policy may be directed to: Office of Equal Opportunity, 65 Court Street, Room 923, Brooklyn, New York 11201, or visit the OEO website at http://schools.nyc.gov/OEO.