Occupational Therapy Scholarship Program
Area of Study: OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY
Semester of Entry: FALL 2021
Application Period: JANUARY 4 - APRIL 30, 2021
Level of Study: MASTER'S DEGREE
Program of Study:
A NEW YORK STATE-APPROVED OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY PROGRAM AT ONE OF THE COLLEGES OR UNIVERSITIES LISTED BELOW:
|COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY||CONTACT PERSON||TELEPHONE NO.||EMAIL ADDRESS|
|Columbia University||Glen Gillen, EdD, OTR, FAOTA||(212) email@example.com|
|Keuka College||Vicki Smith, Ed.D., MBA, OTR/L, FAOTA||(315) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Long Island University||Holly Wasserman, OTR/L, EdD||(718) email@example.com|
|Mercy College||Jeanine M. Stancanelli, OTD, MPH,OTR/L||(914) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|New York Institute of Technology||Dr. Alexander Lopez||(516) email@example.com|
|New York University||Sally Poole, OTD,OT/L,CHT||(212) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University||Brigitte C. Desport, DPS, OTR/L, BCP, ATP||(718) email@example.com|
|Touro College||Anny Pascual||(212) 463-0400 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|York College-City University of New York||Eva L. Rodriguez, PhD, OTR/L||(718) 262-2720||ERodriguez14@york.cuny.edu|
- Acceptance to one of the participating colleges or universities and enrolled full-time in an Occupational Therapy Program leading to New York State Certification.
- Proof of U.S citizenship or permanent resident status.
- Certify that you do not possess a disqualifying record of conviction. All awardees need to be fingerprinted and receive clearance by the New York City Department of Education.
- Agree to accept employment as a full-time Occupational Therapist with the New York City Department of Education in areas of high need as determined at the discretion of the program supervisor upon obtaining your New York State license.
- Maintain full-time college or university enrollment.
All applications for the OT/PT Scholarship Program must be submitted electronically. Required documents must be submitted within ten (10) business days from the date of application filing:
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or permanent resident status. (Example: Birth Certificate, Passport, Alien Registration Card)
- Current College Transcripts (official copies and unofficial student copies are accepted)
Copies of all New York State or other state licenses
- A completed College Acceptance Form from a participating college or university stating applicant has been accepted unconditionally as a fully matriculated graduate student
- Two (2) letters of reference. (One (1) personal, One (1) professional)
- A non-refundable application fee of $75.00 in the form of a U.S Postal money order made payable to the New York City Department of Education. Personal checks will not be accepted.
Mail required documents to the following address:
New York City Department of Education
Scholarships, Incentives, and Speech Programs
65 Court Street, Room 508
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Attention: OT/PT Scholarship Program
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
- Current pedagogical or clinical employees of the NYC Department of Education are not eligible to participate in the Scholarship Program.
- Applicants who have already achieved New York State or reciprocal state certification are not eligible to apply.
- Must not have benefited from or participated in any other incentive programs administered by the Department of Education (i.e., Teachers of Tomorrow, Loan Forgiveness Program, Intensive Teacher Institute in Bilingual Special Education (ITI-BSE), New York City Teaching Fellows, Teach for America, I-Start, New Visions Urban Teacher Residency Program, Success Via Apprenticeship, Math for America, etc.).
- The maximum number of years that one is allowed to participate in the scholarship program is two (2) years, specifically the last two years of study in that program, regardless of the length of your study/program.
The NYC Department of Education will reimburse the college or university the cost of tuition for candidates selected to participate in the Master's degree program. Prerequisite coursework, other fees and expenses (i.e., application fees, books, and room and board) are NOT covered and are the responsibility of the student.
Award amounts will:
- Be granted for one year and may be renewable for the second year, contingent upon funding and acceptable academic records.
- Cover the full cost of tuition only for courses directly related to programs in Occupational Therapy (during the professional phase of the program).
NOTE: The maximum number of years that an awardee is allowed to participate in the scholarship program is two (2) years (specifically the last two (2) years of study in that program) regardless of the length of study or program.
To be licensed as an occupational therapist in New York State, the applicant’s education must be from a:
New York State Registered or Accredited Occupational Therapist Program (AOTP), you must have:
- A baccalaureate or entry-level master's degree in occupational therapy, or
- A post-baccalaureate certificate in occupational therapy from an institution acceptable to the Department.
- You must have a minimum of six (6) months of supervised occupational therapy experience satisfactory to the New York State Board for Occupational Therapy. Graduates of New York State registered or AOTA-accredited programs met this requirement as part of their educational program.
- For Occupational Therapist Programs located outside the United States that are NOT AOTA Accredited, please refer to www.op.nysed.gov/prof/ot/otlic.htm - "Proof of Education" for instructions on how to verify your education credentials.
- Occupational therapists must pass the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy, Inc. (NBCOT) examination.
SERVICE AGREEMENT and COMMITMENT:
- Participants shall serve within the New York City Department of Education (NYCDOE) in the field of Occupational Therapy two (2) years for every one (1) year the Scholarship is awarded or any part thereof. (Example: If the Scholarship is awarded for one and a half (1.5) years, the participant will have a four (4) year service commitment to the NYCDOE).
- If an awardee receives less than one year of scholarship assistance, the minimum service obligation requirement is two (2) years.
- Employment must be in a designated New York City Public School.
- The awardee must commence employment with the New York City Department of Education within six (6) months of graduation. An awardee must possess a New York State license to practice Occupational Therapy.
- An awardee who has failed to commence their service obligation will be required to repay the total year plus nine (9%) interest within two (2) years of the last award semester. A pro-rated repayment schedule shall be established for any awardee that completes only a portion of their service obligation within the specified period.
- Awardees must meet the standards of the college they attend and remain in good standing in their program.
Implementation of the Scholarship Program is contingent upon the availability of funding and the staffing needs of the NYC Department of Education.
If you require further information, please email JosePScholarship@schools.nyc.gov or call the Office of Scholarships, Incentives, and Speech Programs at (718) 935-2449. We look forward to receiving your application!