Career Training Program
The Career Training Program (CTP) provides eligible UFT paraprofessionals and DC 37, Local 372 family paraprofessionals with the opportunity to earn a Bachelor’s degree. The program pays tuition for from 3 to 6 credits per semester for undergraduate study at participating colleges/universities. Two and a half hours per week of released time and/or a summer stipend are also provided to support study.
- Full time paraprofessionals employed in the New York City public schools who have not yet earned a Bachelor’s degree.
Reforms/Changes to the Career Training Program (CTP):
Effective with the fall 2016 term, the NYCDOE will no longer pay activity, application, technology and any other fees charged by the college. This will be the Paraprofessional’s responsibility.
- Mandatory matriculation into a degree bearing program after completion of 60 credits. Proof of matriculatin will be required.
- Substitute Paraprofessionals will no longer be eligible to participate in the CTP Program. The NYCDOE will no longer pay for the six (6) credits.
- A maximum of 120 credits will be paid on behalf of the Paraprofessional, towards the completion of a Bachelor's degree program (exceptions will be reviewed on a case by case basis).
- Paraprofessionals must maintain a "C" grade point average (2.0) to remain in the program.
- The NYCDOE will not pay for "F" grades or late withdrawals.
For paraprofessionals who benefit from the Federal Pell Grant or the New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) grant, financial aid will be used to cover any tuition related expenses. The attending college/university will bill the Department of Education the difference between the amount of tuition owed and the amount of tuition assistance received.
Applications for the Career Training Program are available online as follows:
- Fall Semester – May 1st through June 30th
- Spring Semester – September 1st through October 31st
- Summer Semester – February 1st through March 31st
For a list of approved colleges and programs, please click here.
To view the Release Time Memo, please click on the following link: https://www.teachnycprograms.net/ctp/docs/CTP%20Release%20Time%20%20%20Rev%208%2016.pdf
Effective immediately, to ensure that you receive your confirmation and your voucher; you must now utilize your NYCDOE email address. The system will no longer accept email addresses from other domains.
Click HERE to apply online.
The Paraprofessional Academy is a comprehensive service center where paraprofessionals can obtain help with educational and career concerns from a staff of counselors and advisors. Such assistance is intended to support the paraprofessionals by offering relevant resources that facilitate the participant’s orientation into the career training program; contribute to their personal development, enhance their academic success, and facilitate their career skills. Additionally, the New York City Department of Education in collaboration with the United Federation of Teachers (UFT) will offer various workshops through the year for paraprofessionals. Thank you.
To view the 2016-2017 workshop schedule, please click on the link below: