Career Training Program
The Career Training Program (CTP) provides eligible UFT paraprofessionals and DC 37, Local 372 family paraprofessionals with the opportunity to earn a Bachelor’s degree. The program pays tuition for from 3 to 6 credits per semester for undergraduate study at participating colleges/universities. Two and a half hours per week of Release Time (Release Time.pdf) and/or a summer stipend are also provided to support study.
To submit an application for the Career Training Program click here: https://nyc.teacherssupportnetwork.com/Start.do?CareerPath=INC.
- Full time paraprofessionals employed in the New York City public schools who have not yet earned a Bachelor’s degree.
- Mandatory matriculation into a degree bearing program after completion of 60 credits. Proof of matriculation will be required.
- Substitute Paraprofessionals will no longer be eligible to participate in the CTP Program.
- A maximum of 120 credits will be paid on behalf of the Paraprofessional, towards the completion of a Bachelor's degree program (exceptions will be reviewed on a case by case basis).
- Paraprofessionals must maintain a "C" grade point average (2.0) to remain in the program.
- The NYCDOE will NOT pay for "F" grades or late withdrawals.
For paraprofessionals who benefit from the Federal Pell Grant or the New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) grant, financial aid will be used to cover any tuition related expenses. The attending college/university will bill the Department of Education the difference between the amount of tuition owed and the amount of tuition assistance received.
Reforms/Changes to the Career Training Program (CTP)
Effective with the fall 2016 term, the NYCDOE will no longer pay activity, application, technology and any other fees charged by the college. This will be the Paraprofessional’s responsibility.
- Fall Semester – May 1st through June 30th
- Spring Semester – September 1st through October 31st
- Summer Semester – February 1st through March 31st
For a list of approved colleges and programs, click here.
Effective immediately, to ensure that you receive your confirmation and your voucher; you must now utilize your NYCDOE email address. The system will no longer accept email addresses from other domains.
PARAPROFESSIONAL STUDENT TEACHING LEAVE OF ABSENCE PROGRAM
In some instances, colleges and/or universities will not accept work as a Paraprofessional, in lieu of student teaching. The NYCDOE will provide a 40 day paid leave of absence to complete student teaching requirements. The number of leaves per year will not exceed 100. These special leaves of absences are by application only. For additional program details/eligibility requirements please click the following link: Student Teaching Leave of Absence.pdf
To apply online, please click the following link: https://nyc.teacherssupportnetwork.com/Start.do?CareerPath=INC.
Please mail the supporting documents to:
Paraprofessional Student Teaching LOA Program
NYCDOE - Scholarship, Incentives, & Speech Programs
65 Court Street, Room 508
Brooklyn, New York 11207
PARAPROFESSIONAL TO TEACHER PATHWAY GRADUATE REIMBURSEMENT PROGRAM
The Career Training Program (CTP) will now support eligible Paraprofessionals who are interested in pursuing a career as a teacher, and matriculated in a graduate education program through a reimbursement program. New York State certification must be achieved after September 1, 2016 and must comply with the application procedures for the program as outlined below. Applications for the CTP Paraprofessional to Teacher Pathways Program will be available from February 1st through March 30th of each year. There are absolutely no extensions to this application period. For additional program details/eligibility requirements please click the following link: CTP - Para to Teacher Pathways Graduate Reimbursement Program rev.pdf
LEAD TEACHER ASSSTANT (LTA)
The Lead Teacher Assistant Paraprofessional (LTA) allows for a more diverse use of paraprofessionals in classroom and school to support student’s needs. The position allows schools to utilize a paraprofessional in the role of a true Assistant Teacher, supporting instruction in the classroom working with students alone or in small groups under the general supervision of the classroom teacher throughout the school year. This position allows paraprofessionals to enhance their skills and create a possible pathway to a teaching career. The LTA is an annual position and will receive an additional compensation of $5,000 above the applicable contracted annual salary.
To submit an application for the Lead Teaching Assistant position click here: https://nyc.teacherssupportnetwork.com/Start.do?CareerPath=INC.
PARAPROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATION TESTING REIMBURSEMENT PROGRAM
The Career Training Program will support eligible Paraprofessionals who are interested in pursuing a career as an educator within the public school system. New York State certification must be achieved after September 1, 2016 and must comply with the application procedures for the program. The NYCDOE will reimburse paraprofessionals, (one time only) up to $400.00 for NYS certification examinations once initial certification is granted. For additional program details and eligiblity requirements please click on the following link: Certification Testing Reimbursement Cover rev.pdf
The Paraprofessional Academy is a comprehensive service center where paraprofessionals can obtain help with educational and career concerns from a staff of counselors and advisors. Such assistance is intended to support the paraprofessionals by offering relevant resources that facilitate the participant’s orientation into the career training program; contribute to their personal development, enhance their academic success, and facilitate their career skills. Additionally, the New York City Department of Education in collaboration with the United Federation of Teachers (UFT) will offer various workshops through the year for paraprofessionals.
To view the upcoming workshops, please click on the links below:
January and February 2018:
Note: Please be advised that in January, there are two different dates for the same exact workshop subject. Please register for one or the other as you will only get CTLE hours for participating in one of the workshops.
Para Academy Notes:
- Registration for all upcoming Para Academy workshops are to be completed ONLINE ONLY! (Click on the link located on the workshop flyer to complete the registration process).
- Please do NOT send registration forms and/or money orders to the NYCDOE or the UFT as they will be returned to you and will not be processed.
- The workshop registration fees have been restructured:
$15.00 For registrants requiring CTLE hours towards the NYS Teaching Assistant Certification requirements.
$10.00 For NON-CTLE registrants.
- Workshop registration fees are NON-REFUNDABLE and cannot be applied to any workshop other that the one for which the fee was collected.
- All workshops have a limited capacity for registration. The first 130 registrants will be allowed to attend.
- Walk-ins will NOT be permitted. Registration prior to the workshop is required.
- Anyone arriving after 4:30 PM will NOT be allowed to attend the workshop.
Thank you for participating in the Para Academy!